I, as an automotive technician, do solemnly swear that I will:
• Apply all measures and repairs required by the afflicted and broken-down while avoiding the twin traps of unnecessary repairs and charges. I will only recommend necessary services and explain all options to my clients.
• Remember that I do not just repair a vehicle, but an extension of a human being whose family’s safety and economic stability may depend on the vehicle. I will treat the client’s vehicle better than if it were my own.
• Recommend or perform preventative maintenance whenever I can, for, like the health of our own bodies, prevention is preferable to failure.
• Remember automotive repair is an art as well as a science. I will apply my creativity and diagnostic skills rather than simply replacing parts until the problem is eliminated.
• Seek out the help and support of my fellow technicians and colleagues whenever I need guidance. I will continue my education and strive to repair the client’s vehicle correctly the first time.
• Utilize the products and techniques which are safe for the vehicle, the community and myself.
• Respect the hard-earned gains of the technicians who have gone before me while sharing my knowledge with those who will walk in my footsteps.
• Strive to improve this industry with my honesty, integrity, and compassion. I will seek to correct any abuses within the automotive repair industry.
If I do not violate this oath, may I always act to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and experience the joy of repairing the vehicles which need my expertise and the clients who need my professionalism.