Get Your Car Ready for Winter at Rad Air During Fall Car Care Month
Every October, Rad Air joins other automotive repair shops around the country in celebrating Fall Car Care Month. The Car Care Council, a non-profit organization dedicated to educating motorists about the importance of regular vehicle care, maintenance, and repair, was established this month to help drivers become more “car care aware” and prioritize the automotive services that will keep them safe on the roads during the coming winter. Throughout October, Rad Air is promoting the necessity of essential fall vehicle maintenance and offering a Fall Car Care Month special that contains all of the services your vehicle needs before winter arrives in Northeast Ohio.
Be More Car Care Aware!
Did You Know…
- Regular oil changes improve fuel efficiency, reduce wear and tear on your engine, and extend the life of your vehicle.
- Car batteries 3 years or older often need to be replaced.
- A loose gas cap can trigger the check engine light.
- An odd smell is often the first sign of a car issue.
- Proper tire inflation can improve gas mileage by more than 3 percent.
- More car fires happen every year from deferred maintenance than accidents.
Source: Car Care Council
Our Fall Vehicle Maintenance Checklist
Inspect Your Ride Before the Cold Weather Arrives
When the snow and ice arrive in Northeast Ohio, you will be grateful that you took the time this fall to fully inspect your vehicle and address any concerns. We have compiled some of the most essential recommendations for each area of your vehicle to help you get started.
Before Winter Arrives
- Make sure your heating and defrosting system is working properly.
- Check your wiper blades for signs of wear—they should be replaced every 6 months.
- Consider upgrading to winter wiper blades for the winter season.
- Check all exterior and interior lights and headlights and replace bulbs as needed.
- Check the tread depth and pressure of all tires—and don’t forget to check the spare.
- Replace any worn tires with new tires that properly fit your vehicle.
- Have your brake system checked by an automotive professional.
- Have the battery and charging system checked by an automotive professional.
- Clean and flush out the cooling system, and replace the all season coolant/antifreeze.
- Check the exhaust system for leaks.
During the Winter
- Check your tire pressure weekly and ensure tires are properly inflated.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full —this prevents moisture from forming and potentially freezing in gas lines in cold weather.
- Check your oil at regular intervals.
- Check the fuel, air, and transmission filters at recommended intervals.
- Keep an ice scraper and snow brush readily accessible.
- Keep a winter emergency kit stocked with essential supplies for all family members.
Rad Air is here to help perform the above inspections, identify any potential problems, and address them this fall. Reach out to your local Rad Air to schedule your essential fall vehicle maintenance and take the first step to be more car care aware. Your car’s safety—and yours—will depend on it this winter.