Exhaust systems may seem like just some pipes that can make your car noisy when they aren’t working correctly. In fact, your car’s exhaust system can be a detriment to your family’s health if it isn’t working correctly. Why? Read on.
- More than meets the eye. The exhaust system is more than just a muffler. The entire system is comprised of a catalytic converter, a series of oxygen sensors and the pipes and mufflers that pump the exhaust out of the back of your car.
- Monitoring oxygen levels. Today’s exhaust systems carefully calculate the amount of oxygen in your exhaust to maintain excellent fuel economy. This is one of the most common reasons that the “check engine” light might come on, as an oxygen sensor in your exhaust system failure can impact your costs for gas and your safety. In Ohio, it is impossible to get an emission check with your “check engine” light on.
- Exhaust systems protect your health. As a byproduct of engine performance, carbon monoxide is created. Qualified auto technicians at Rad Air say issues with the exhaust system can leak carbon monoxide into the passenger cabin due to leaks in hoses. This can be dangerous to your family’s health.
- Remove pollutants. The role of the catalytic converter is to convert carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons to water vapor and carbon dioxide – all items occurring naturally.
Having you vehicle’s exhaust system tested regularly is important not only to your vehicle, but to your health.
- Your car’s exhaust system is made up of Oxygen Sensors, the Catalytic Converter, pipers, and muffler.
- All cars today have at least one oxygen sensor to measure the amount of oxygen in exhaust fumes to maximize your fuel economy. Your “service engine soon” light engages when an oxygen sensor fails.
- The converter changes harmful carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons to water vapors and carbon dioxide. If it gets plugged up, it causes a loss of performance.
As you can see, the exhaust system in your car has far more functions than simply moving fumes away from the engine. With the ability to convert fumes into water vapor and to protect your family’s health, taking care of the exhaust system is critical. If your “check engine” light is on, come in today for assistance with your exhaust system. Rad Air’s Strongsville Car Care & Tire Center can help!